Monday, January 3, 2011

The Help

At first I was leery of this book. The author being Caucasian writing about African American women help? Is she a viable source? Well after reading the first couple of chapters I couldn't put this book down. I started getting into Skeeter's story and connecting to her social awkwardness and yearning for people whom she felt understood her which included her own maid.

I personally enjoyed the excitement of the Civil Rights Movement coming along in Jackson and how the women responded to this.

I found this to be a wonderful read.

What are your thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the rec librarian lady, this is a pretty neat format to communicate with others on specific or broad topics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this book was just too good. Once I got over the first few chapters, it became really interesting. At first I thought it would be a (dull?) narrative about African American women and their troubles and stuff. But the characters are so different from each other with extremely different backgrounds. Among all the troubles of the characters, there is a tad bit of humor, too. Even the language style is different which makes it all the more interesting.

    I really liked this book and highly recommend it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this book. I recommended to my mother and she enjoyed it too. I can't say much more for this book because it's already been to long since I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally enjoyed the book, I couldn't put it down and even woke up in the middle of the night to finish reading the book.
    Each character's mishaps and experiences seemed valid, but the one that drew me in the most was Miss Minny. Minny is the maid who had found herself without a job one too many times when she mouth off to her white employers. Minny's many secrets kept me in the loop and wanting to read more to see just what it was that she did that was so bad about the pie.
    The story set in the early 60's during the civil rights movements gives a glimpse of how complicated it must have been for black and white people living in the segregated south. The book brought back memories of the Color Purple which was also a great read. Thank you Erin for recommending a great book.

    ReplyDelete